"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." -Alma 26:12

Sunday, September 13, 2015

11 days until departure! - 9/10/2015



Minasan konnichiwa! 
     The countdown has officially begun, I'm now less than two weeks away from leaving to Japan! I'm so excited, I can't wait to experience the culture of Japan and meet the amazing people there. If I've learned anything over these past weeks in the MTC, it's that I don't know how to speak Japanese. If I'm going to have any chance of being an effective missionary, I'll definitely have to rely on the Spirit of our Heavenly Father to guide me.  
     I have felt His guidance throughout my time at the MTC, and especially in this past week. Our devotional speaker talked about how we can become bold missionaries, saying that to become bold, we must first humble ourselves before God. He also talked about how everyone has feelings of inadequacy, and shared a scripture to help us overcome these feelings. In 1 Corinthians chapter 2, one of the greatest missionaries ever talked about how he felt like he wasn't able to speak effectively enough to share the Gospel. During this chapter and verse 27 of the previous chapter, he says that through the Lord, he can be made strong in all things. I know this doesn't just apply to missionary work, any time we have trials and struggles in our lives we can turn to the Lord and He will strengthen us. He answers our prayers if we pray with a sincere desire and exercise faith in Him. During our testimony meeting after the devotional, one of my district members said something I really liked. He said that he learned from the devotional that we must "Be strong enough to stand, diligent enough to kneel in prayer, humble enough to ask." These words were so true to me. We can't succeed in this life without God's help and guidance, and we must submit ourselves to His will in order to receive it. 
    Well, I'm running out of time, so I have to wrap up. I hope everyone is doing well at home, I'm having an awesome time here, and it's only about to get better! I'll make sure to bring everyone something home from Japan, you'll just have to wait a couple of years for it!
Love,
Elder Winegar


No comments: