"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." -Alma 26:12

Thursday, August 13, 2015

8/13/2015


Minasan Konnichiwa! (Hello everyone),
Hope you are all doing well, I don't have too much to report on this week. We are studying hard all the time. We are trying so hard to learn both the language of Japanese and of the spirit, and even though some days are harder than others, I believe we are are always making progress. It's still really difficult for me to communicate effectively with our Japanese investigators, but when I rely on Heavenly Father for help, He has made it possible for me to understand what the investigators are saying and feeling. I guess that's all part of the gift of tongues.
Anyways, our devotional speaker this week was Elder C. Scott Grow. Yes, we all had a laugh about the name too, but he was an incredible speaker. He talked about serving the Lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength. I especially liked how he compared the story of Nephi to missionary work. When Nephi was commanded to get the brass plates from Laban, he was willing to do whatever it took. He wasn't discouraged after his first two failures to obtain the plates, and he continued to rely on the Lord for strength. I am striving every day to have as much faith as Nephi had, and I know that if I can do this, miracles truly can happen.
One thing that I've thought a lot about since I've been here is that I wish I would have been more willing to share the gospel before my mission. I know that I'm going to love the people in Japan, but there is a part of me that wishes I was able to serve both in Japan and back home. While we were at choir practice this week, our director told us that we should be sharing the gospel with enthusiasm, not with apology. He used a great analogy to describe his point. He said if we were going around handing out gold bricks, we wouldn't be saying 'I have some gold bricks here if you want some, but I understand why you wouldn't want any'. I know that the gospel is worth more than all the gold in the world, so why should I be afraid to share it? I hope you all can feel the same way, and you won't be afraid to teach others about this amazing gospel that can bless their lives so much. It gives us purpose in life, helps us to be constantly improving ourselves, and we can always turn to our Heavenly Father for strength and guidance.
That's all I have to say right now, I miss you all and hope you are having fun out in the real world. I can't wait to get to Japan, but I guess I still have a few weeks to go.
Love,
Elder Winegar

No comments: