"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." -Alma 26:12

Thursday, August 27, 2015

8/27/2015

Vui Choro [Elder Vui] is from Samoa, and his mom sent us all lava lavas, so of course we had to take a picture in them.

Class makes us all pretty tired sometimes. There's just nothing we can do about it.

Minasan Konnichiwa,
     It's crazy to think about it, but I'm now over halfway done with my time at the MTC. It feels like I just got here yesterday, but I've also learned so much from my time here. I am starting to feel more confident during our teaching appointments (not prideful, I don't want to be struck down:), and I am beginning to be able to express how I feel about this gospel and how it can bless our investigator's lives. I still have a long way to go, but it's coming along. 
     This Sunday, we were able to hear from Stephen B. Allen again. He spoke our first week in the MTC as well, and I enjoyed this talk as much as the first. One story he shared was about a young boy that was taking a road trip with two of his friends. He was driving on a long, straight stretch of highway and everyone was getting tired. His friends were asleep, and his eyes were starting to close, so he tried to find ways to stay awake. He realized that since the road was so straight, if he looked in the rearview mirror and watched the line on the road behind him, he could continue to drive the car this way (great idea, right? What could possibly go wrong?). Out of nowhere, a semi-truck roared in front of him, scaring him out of his wits. No accident occurred, but if it had, it would have been deadly. Elder Allen compared this story to our lives- if we keep focusing on past mistakes and challenges, we are bound to end up in even more trouble.
    On a lighter note, we challenged one of the other districts to a volleyball game, and it caused some interesting problems. We won, of course, but that wasn't even the best part. One of the people in the other districts is from Eagle, her name is Lauren Riggs. She was in my seminary class one year, and she is also friends with Brennan. At one point, she and my companion were both going for the ball, and they collided through the net. Both got up and were fine, with no apparent injuries. But when we saw them later that day, Riggs Shimai had a HUGE black eye (yes, I'll attach a picture). It was so funny, everyone was teasing Messick Choro about it, but he and Riggs Shimai took it pretty well.
     That's all I have for this week. Mom or dad, if you want to make sure Brennan hears about the last story, that would be great. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it.
Love you all,
-Elder Winegar

No comments: