"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." -Alma 26:12

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Halfway point! 8/20/2015

Minasan Konnichiwa!
     I can't believe I've already been in the MTC for over a month! Time flies here, I feel like I just got in a couple weeks ago. It helps that they always keep us so busy. I gave my first talk in Sacrament meeting on Sunday, which was pretty tough. Our talks are supposed to be 3 minutes in length, with a scripture, a couple sentences from Preach My Gospel, and a testimony ALL IN JAPANESE. Oh, and we aren't told who is speaking until the meeting starts. It was actually a great experience for me though, because I could feel Heavenly Father strengthening me so that I would have the courage to say what I know to be true. My companion and I also got to teach Priesthood meeting (luckily, that one is in English). Later that night, we had a special devotional. The Nashville Tribute Band (if you haven't heard of them, you should look them up- they are amazing!) gave a short concert, and all of us in the choir got to sing a couple songs with them. There were over a thousand missionaries in the choir that day. They brought such a special spirit through their music, and they truly knew that Christ was their savior and redeemer, and that God is our loving Heavenly Father.
     Our Tuesday devotional was pretty great too. Elder Echo Hawk spoke about what we need to do to become better missionaries. He said that we need to decide right now that we will never be afraid to open our mouths to share the gospel, and to act in a way that would be pleasing to our Heavenly Father. This is something that I have been trying to work on, to put my trust completely in the Lord and let Him guide my words and actions. 
     Other than that, things are still relatively the same. We are still teaching lessons almost every day in Japanese, which is really tough for me. I've gotten so much better at answering questions posed by the people being taught, though. I still have a long way to go, but there are so many people willing to help me out. I found out that we get to skype with native Nihonjin in a couple weeks to teach them a lesson- I'm sure that will be a fun experience. 
     Thanks again for all your letters- it's really great to know how everyone's doing and that home is still home. 
Love, 
-Elder Winegar

No comments: